226 Area Code

Published In

For those who don’t know it well, an area code is a three-digit number that is used to identify a certain city or state. You need to enter the area code before the actual telephone number when you are calling another area. Since there are multiple area codes introduced in the North American Numbering Plan (NAPN), it is quite obvious that one might not be aware of all the codes. However, if you are looking for insight into area code 226, please read through this space in detail.

Kitchener is the main region in the Ontario province for which area code 226 is used. It is used along with other area codes in the whole region. Geographically, this city falls in the southwestern region of Ontario. It is an overlay code of 519 which was the first and original area code in the region. Now, area code 226 also has another overlay code 382.

The first time when area code 226 was proposed was in the Numbering Plan Area (NPA) exhaustion study conducted in the 1990s. Science Applications International Corporation along with other telecommunication firms raised this issue for the very first time with Canadian Radio-television & Telecommunication Communication (CRTC).

As a result of this, a relief plan was devised in the year 1992. Although in the beginning, the proposal was accepted. However, on 15th April 2003, the committee decided to postpone the launch of area code 226 from February 2005 to October 2006 primarily due to updated forecasts in the initial exhaustion study.

With the growth in population in the area, the demand for new numbers also increased in the area and that is why the need for an overlay area code came into existence. Under the old area code, the demand was not getting met. On top of it, with the advent of wireless telephony, a lot of people started using mobile phones and there was a sudden surge for new phone numbers. Keeping in mind all these things, the new overlay area codes were introduced.

Key facts about area code 226

When was area code 226 originated?

It is an overlay code of area code 519 and was introduced on 21st October 2006. There was another overlay code 548 which was formed in 2015. There is another reserved overlay code 382 which has been already identified and will be introduced once required.

Which area does it belong to?

All these area codes (519, 226 & 548) belong to the southwestern region of the Ontario province. Most of the regions of Brantford, Cambridge, Clinton, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Chatham, London, Leamington, Orangeville, Woodstock, Owen Sound, Sarnia, and others are catered to by these area codes.

Which time zone does it fall in?

This area code falls in the Eastern Time zone which is also known as America/New_York time zone. It follows EST (Eastern Standard Time) and from mid-march to early November, it follows EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) when daylight saving time is observed. The standard time is ‘GMT – 5.00 hours’ and daylight saving time is ‘+1:00 hour’

What are some nearby area codes?

Some popular nearby area codes are 248 & 947 (Troy, MI), 249 & 705 (Sudbury, ON), 289 & 365 & 905 (Hamilton, ON), 313 (Detroit, MI), 419 & 567 (Toledo, OH), 440 (Parma, OH), 586 (Warren, MI), 716 (Buffalo, NY), 734 (Ann Arbor, MI), 810 (Flint, MI), 814 (Erie, PA), 819 & 873 (Sherbrooke, QC) and 989 (Saginaw, MI).

What is the Assigned v/s Non-assigned Ratio of the numbers?

There are still about half of the numbers are non-assigned in area code 226. The exact value is 49%. Rest 51% numbers have already been assigned.

Which telephony technology holds the major share for 226?

The area has the major share of landline numbers which is about 67% for area code 226. On the other hand, wireless technology has about 33% share.

Is area code 226 toll-free?

The answer is no. If you are making calls to and from area code 226, you need to pay the rate as per your telecom service provider’s tariff. The charges may vary as per your plan or subscription type.