Atheros Announces Mobile Wi-Fi Solution to Provide High-Performance Wireless Connectivity for HP TouchPad Tablet and HP Pre3 Smartphone
Atheros ROCm(R) Mobile Wi-Fi Solution Provides High-Performance Connectivity for New HP webOS Tablet and Smartphone
Atheros Align(R) Technology Doubles the Wi-Fi Throughput to Provide Unmatched Web and Media Experiences for Mobile Consumers
Atheros Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:ATHR – News), a global leader in innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications, today announced that its mobile Wi-Fi® solution, featuring Align® 1-stream 802.11n technology, is providing the high-performance wireless connectivity(1) for the new HP TouchPad tablet and HP Pre3 smartphone. The groundbreaking webOS devices feature extensive multimedia capabilities and Web-based services to provide compelling application experiences not available on any other platform.
Key Facts About Atheros Technology:
- The Atheros AR6003 delivers the fastest 1-stream mobile 802.11n performance with a near-zero impact on the battery life of mobile devices.
- Atheros’ mobile Wi-Fi technology supports dual-band operation with 40 MHz capabilities, which doubles the wireless throughput of previous mobile Wi-Fi devices. As more Wi-Fi devices crowd the 2.4 GHz band, dual-band products can leverage more wireless spectrum in the 5 GHz band for media applications requiring relatively interference-free bandwidth. This provides consumers with a better wireless experience on their portable devices.
- The AR6003 is among the smallest and most energy efficient mobile 802.11n solutions on the market. Built on Atheros’ low-power ROCm® architecture, the highly-integrated solution enables customers to take full advantage of Wi-Fi features without compromising the size or battery life of mobile designs.
- To ensure a better wireless experience for mobile customers, the AR6003 enables superior coexistence with Bluetooth features. Atheros Universal Wireless Cooperation™ is a suite of innovative techniques that facilitate greater cooperation between the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios to minimize interference and ensure smooth operation of both wireless features.
- Atheros is demonstrating its mobile Wi-Fi solutions this week at the 2011 Mobile World Congress. Its private meeting suite is located in the Fira de Barcelona (Hall 1, Stand G39).
Amir Faintuch, senior vice president and general manager, Atheros’ Consumer Business Unit:
“HP’s webOS platform is enabling converged mobile devices with the multimedia capabilities of a home entertainment system and cloud-based applications of a computer. Atheros is pleased to deliver the Wi-Fi solutions that help keep HP’s new tablet and smartphone connected and enable consumers to fully experience the benefits of this groundbreaking new architecture.”
Steve Manser, senior vice president of product development, HP:
“As we develop an ecosystem of webOS devices, we rely on best-in-class technologies to deliver the innovative experience that HP customers expect. With the right combination of wireless performance and features, Atheros’ mobile Wi-Fi technology provides connectivity that allows people to get the most from their HP TouchPad tablet and HP Pre3 smartphone.”
- AR6003 product information: http://www.atheros.com/mobile/technology.php?nav1=10&product=67
- AR6003 product photo: http://www.atheros.com/corporate/content.php?nav1=128
- Information about HP’s new tablet and smartphone: http://www.palm.com
Atheros Communications delivers innovative technologies for wireless and wired communications. Its mission is to invent technologies that connect and empower people in ways that are elegant and accessible to all. Building upon its broad expertise in RF and mixed signal semiconductor design, Atheros’ portfolio includes a wide variety of connectivity solutions that are used by many of the world’s leading networking equipment, computing and consumer device manufacturers. Headquartered in San Jose, California, Atheros has a significant and growing presence in Asia and Europe to serve its global customer base. For more information, visit www.atheros.com.
(1) Within wireless coverage area only. Actual speeds may vary. Email, mobile number, and related information required for setup and activation. Required data services sold separately; unlimited plan recommended, may be required. Not all web content may be available. Wi-Fi use within range of 802.11b/g Wi-Fi network. Some Wi-Fi hotspots may require fee for usage.