Nextel Argentina, Brazil and Mexico Offer Motorola i1, the first push-to-talk Android powered smartphone in Latin America
NII Holdings Launches The Motorola i1, the First Push-To-Talk Android-Powered Smartphone in Latin America
The Motorola i1 Combines DirectConnect(R) with Android applications in a sleek touchscreen design
NII Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq:NIHD – News) and Motorola, Inc (NYSE:MOT – News) today announced that Nextel Argentina, Nextel Brazil and Nextel Mexico will offer the Motorola i1, the first push-to-talk Android™ powered smartphone in Latin America. The Motorola i1 is a sleek and attractive touchscreen device that combines Nextel’s industry-leading Push-to-Talk (PTT) service, DirectConnect, with premium phone features, including Wi-Fi® optimized browsing with a Nextel branded version of the new Opera Mini 5 browser, providing access to thousands of internet-based applications.
With the Motorola i1, users will be able to experience Android, which is based on an internet ecosystem that recalls the last 6 applications used with the touch of a button. As a result, Nextel subscribers can benefit from DirectConnect, while accessing countless applications and widgets available from the Android Market™ store, as well as other popular Google solutions such as search and Gmail.
The i1 comes preloaded with the popular Facebook® social network application, has a 5 megapixel camera with geo-tagging and panoramic capabilities, MP3 player, Swype™ text input technology, and 8GB of expandable memory.
“This device is a first in a series of exciting new handsets that will be added to our product portfolio in 2010. For the past few years, we have been surpassing the expectations of our subscribers with cutting-edge devices, and we are excited to continue to do so with the launch of the Motorola i1,” said Greg Santoro, chief marketing and strategy officer for NII Holdings. “If you are energetic, creative, fascinated with innovation and gadgets and need to be connected, this is your ideal device.”
“Motorola remains focused on delivering differentiated Android experiences within our product portfolio,” said Mark Shockley, senior vice president of the Global Go-to-Market (GTM) organization for Mobile Devices. “With i1, we’re excited to offer push-to-talk users the opportunity to enjoy a feature rich smartphone with 5 megapixel camera as well as Wi-Fi®, whether it’s for work or play.”
Key features include:
- Wi-Fi® for enhanced browsing and sharing experience.
- Flexible tools for message entry with Android standard virtual keyboard and Swype™, an innovative technology that allows users to enter text with a continuous finger motion across the keypad.
- A 5 megapixel camera with flash, geo-tagging and panoramic capabilities, which provides crisp photos and clearly displays them on the vibrant 3.1-inch HVGA screen. Video can also be recorded and stored on a provided 8G micro SD card for sharing or future viewing straight from the device. It includes Nextel Multimedia suite, a free software to transfer content and manage it on a computer.
- The latest Opera Mini 5 browser enables quick browsing over the Nextel Network, and features a customized ‘Speed Dial’ for easy access to popular websites.
- Ability for the Motorola i1 to be continuously customized with thousands of applications from Android Market™.
- Nextel Live, a widget on the main screen of the phone that provides news, sports, politics and lifestyle information at your fingertips.
- The Motorola i1 comes preloaded with unique and practical applications such as iAlarm, a service that allows you to contact previously programmed persons in an emergency situation by simply holding a button for 5 seconds, TeleNav for turn-by-turn navigation, calculator, calendar, alarm clock, gestures, weather widget and games such as Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09, MONOPOLY® HERE & NOW©, Prince Of Persia and Block Breaker Deluxe 2, which uses the accelerometer on the device to make gaming a more intense experience.
- Even though it has a sleek design, the Motorola i1 is also a tough handset that stands up to the harshest of conditions.
About NII Holdings, Inc.
NII Holdings, Inc., a publicly held company based in Reston, Va., is a leading provider of mobile communications for business customers in Latin America. NII Holdings, Inc. has operations in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile offering a fully integrated wireless communications tool with digital cellular voice services, data services, wireless Internet access and Nextel Direct Connect® and International Direct Connect™, a digital two-way radio feature. NII Holdings, Inc., a Fortune 500 company, trades on the NASDAQ market under the symbol NIHD and is a member of the NASDAQ 100 Index. Visit the Company’s website at http://www.nii.com.
Nextel, the Nextel logo, Nextel Online, Nextel Business Networks and Nextel Direct Connect are trademarks and/or service marks of Nextel Communications, Inc.
Motorola is known around the world for innovation in communications and is focused on advancing the way the world connects. From broadband communications infrastructure, enterprise mobility and public safety solutions to high-definition video and mobile devices, Motorola is leading the next wave of innovations that enable people, enterprises and governments to be more connected and more mobile. Motorola (NYSE:MOT – News) had sales of US $22 billion in 2009. For more information, please visit www.motorola.com.